The Canning Club has a legacy charitable trust called the Argentine Club Educational Trust (ACET), which is proud to provide a scholarship to support a postgraduate student undertaking either an MSC or MPhil in Latin American Studies at Oxford University’s Latin America Centre (LAC) each year.
The scholarship is named after William de Segundo, one of the Canning Club’s longest serving Chairmen. William’s achievements included modernising and ensuring the long-term sustainability of both the Canning Club and and the charitable trust.
Applying for the William de Segundo Scholarship
The scholarship is intended as a contribution towards the successful applicant’s tuition fees, according to the criteria outlined below.
– A track record of academic excellence
– We prefer non-politically partisan areas of study, so neither left nor right wing politically inclining
– All nationalities can apply
– Financial need will be taken into consideration
Applications must be received by 20th January 12 noon UK time for studies beginning the following September, for consideration by the management committee, which will make a final decision and let the successful applicant know by the end of April.
1. Complete the online application for the MSc or MPhil in Latin American Studies at the University of Oxford.
2. Once you have submitted your application, please write an email to the LAC Admissions Secretary at email@example.com, and cc firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting to be considered for the scholarship and explaining how you meet the criteria listed above
3. Incomplete applications, or applications not submitted by the deadline will not be considered. Please ensure you meet the requirements for entry to your course, including English language requirements.
The management committee’s decision is final.
Previous William de Segundo Scholars
2019 – Victoria Cogorno
2021 – Clorrie Yeomans
2022 – Sarah Phillips